Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Home Again, Home Again


We're home, again. We came home from the hospital today after a five day regimen of a very powerful antibiotic, merrem (by the way RXlist.com is a great resource on drugs). Based on all of the tests results, Marty is good to go, today. History has shown us that we need not celebrate too excessively, just enjoy this victory and be prepared to fight the next fight.

It's a bit ironic that we came home, June 17. One June 18, 2006 we came home after Marty's second stroke. She had been in one of three hospitals, a rehab unit, or a sub-acute care facility for over six months. She had seen countless doctors, nurses, therapists and other care givers and on June 18, we came home. It was also in June we came home after Marty's first stroke, again, following multiple doctors, hospitals and surgeries. June apparently is our homecoming month, I'll take it. Coming home after all those days, weeks and months always feels good.

As I think back on those early days of Marty's recovery I realize how much we have all grown, how much we have all learned and how much we have all changed. If I knew then, what I know now ..... I would have done some things different, but not too many. One of the best decisions I made was to find some really great caregivers to become a part of our family. They make life livable for all of us both at home or the hospital. Marty and I had to kiss a lot of frogs to find Renae, Nikkie and Erica, but all the frog kissin' was worth it, they taste like chicken anyway.

One of the things I have realized is that in the time since Marty's first stroke I don't think she has spent the night alone, without someone in the room with her, not one night. Our children have been amazing in their willingness to take an active role in caring for and helping their Mom. Both Matt and Erin, at one time or another, spent the night in the hospital or at St. Catherine's (sub acute care unit), sleeping on a really crappy sleeper chair. Both Matt and Erin have spent sleepless nights in emergency rooms waiting for results of surgeries or just simple tests, and not one time have they complained. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been for them to do that.

And they still do it. When I do leave, one of the kids is always with Marty. As good as our caregivers are, she is never without family around her. Oh, I may go somewhere for most of the day, but when it's night time, when it's time for her to go to bed, one of has been able to be here for her. We are very lucky that we can do that, I am very lucky I have had the support of my children and my family. I really think Marty is proud of how Matt and Erin have responded to this situation. I know it's meaningful for Marty to know how much she is loved.

No comments: