Monday, September 26, 2011

Our Longest Argument

I have written before about the longest and as yet unresolved argument between Marty and me, who’s smarter.  It’s a 35 year plus disagreement where we are both completely entrenched in our positions.  We both really believe one of us is smarter we simply can’t agree on who that is.

Yesterday we sat in the living room doing some exercises with plans to go on a regular Sunday afternoon drive, kind of like old people in the 50’s but with $3.50 per gallon gasoline. 
 
We are thinking about replacing our car before maintenance costs add up to more than its worth so I have been looking at various transportation alternatives which suit our very specific needs.  I’m trying to figure a way to avoid a mini-van.  I think mini-vans are very cool, we used to have one, but my coolness quotient would take a massive hit if I had to drive one every day, it could destroy the last vestiges of my manhood.

I had mentioned to Marty earlier in the day that I would like to drive her by the cars I was looking at to get her opinion.  Regardless of her impairments I still need and want her agreement and approval to spend this kind of money.  It’s important to me and to her that she be involved.

I asked her, “Do you remember what we are going to do on our drive?”

She said, “Yes, you’re going to show me a couple of cars?”

Being the wise-ass that I am I reply, “See you’re not so dumb are you, you remember stuff.”

Marty, “I’m not dumb, just a little brain damaged.”

Me, “Absolutely right you’re not dumb.”

I bent down to wheel chair eye level and kind of whispered in her ear, “Do you still think you’re always the smartest person in the room.”  Marty was not always the most secure person you would ever meet but she was always secure in her intellect.

Marty looked me square in the eyes and said, “Sure do, in fact I know I’m the smartest person in this room.”

Just for good measure, she smiles and with those blue eyes twinkling she said, “Look around the room, I am the smartest person in this room,”

I had to laugh, she got me again.  In my youth someone surely would have hollered, “She really rocked on you.”  She did rock on me pretty good.

I’m really not ready to concede on this 35 year old fight of who’s smarter, but there are days, even today, even with the brain damage, I know one of us is clearly smarter.

No comments: