Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Momma Taught Me Better

Caution -- Political Commentary Ahead

Today I went to my first and probably only town hall type meeting. I went to hear my Congressman, Chet Edwards, dance his way around the various and sundry crazies, like me, who seem to be attracted to this kind of circus.

I wore my little white shirt as my Organizing for America buddies requested and upon entering the convention center I was presented my very own, Heath Care Reform Now, sticker, which apparently made me the enemy of several hundred attendees. What had once been smiles and nods in my direction as I walked into the building were now grimaces and turned up noses. I don't know what I did.

I went to this little shindig with the idea of providing Chet with some cover for his apparently leftist ideas of Medicare and Medicaid. I've never felt part of the far left until I walked into this room. I don't think I changed any of my positions, I think it was the room and my 1000 new buddies in that room. It's pretty easy to be to the left when everyone else is so far to the right there's no room left.

This little meeting lasted about two hours. It was a great place to people watch; lots of red, white and blue clothes, people with funny hats, people with funny shirts and people who generally took themselves way too serious. There were way too many frowns.

I have known very conservative people all of my life, after all I'm a life long Texan. I admire many of these people. They are often hard working, loving, caring and kind people who just want to be left alone to enjoy their life. The people I know aren't mean spirited, they aren't rude, they aren't obnoxious. I can't figure out where some of these people came from, maybe their Mama just didn't raise them right.

Just for future reference, if you sit at the back of the room and yell stuff out in the middle of the meeting, no one really understands what you are saying and you sound kind of stupid. Just so you know, when you yell at the Congressman , "go home Chet", before the meeting starts, you sound stupid. And just so you know, when you obviously are getting help from Medicare and applaud when someone says let's get rid of it, well, let's just say you appear disengenuous, and maybe a little stupid. It's never smart to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I don't think all of these people are ignorant, I really don't. I know there are really strong feelings about this health care stuff. I know many really believe that ACORN is going to get special insurance rates and that everyone is going to have to share sheets in a hospital bed. I have strong feelings about this stuff too, but when you act so dumb I don't want to share anything with you, much less my hospital bed.

I would say to all we just need to listen more to our Mom, but I swear, the lady next to me was some ones Mother and she should have known better.

1 comment:

Babbaloie said...

Great post! Best lines:

"It's pretty easy to be to the left when everyone else is so far to the right there's no room left."

"I have strong feelings about this stuff too, but when you act so dumb I don't want to share anything with you, much less my hospital bed."

Greatness.